Total number of students: 5 518
Number of foreign students: 304
Date of foundation: 1967
Kharkiv State University of Food Technology and Trade stands clearly out among the great variety of Ukrainian universities. It is the only institution of higher learning in East Ukraine which trains bachelors, specialists, and masters for trade, hospitality, restaurant business, the food processing industry, customs and auditing services. The history of the university dates back to the late nineteenth century. It was then that the architect Aleksei Beketov built the Higher Commercial School of Emperor named after the Emperor Alexander III. Its founding fathers were the merchants of the city of Kharkiv. The Board of Trustees which consisted of reputable merchants and honorary citizens of the city supervised the school. Subsequently it grew into the Commercial Institute. 1929 saw the opening of Kharkiv Institute of Soviet Trade aimed at training highly qualified specialists for the trade industry and public catering. The Institute of Soviet Trade created in 1959 was transferred to Donetsk leaving behind the Evening and Correspondence Faculty of the new-born Donetsk Institute of Soviet Trade. On the 1st of July 1967 Kharkiv Institute of Public Catering was founded on its base. In 1994 the institute was granted a new status and a new name - Kharkiv State Academy of Food Technology and Human Nutrition. On the 11th of October 2002 it was granted the university status.